By Michael M. Lorge, Gary P. Zola
Read Online or Download A Place of Our Own: The Rise of Reform Jewish Camping (Judaic Studies Series) PDF
Best judaism books
The Face of the opposite and the hint of God comprise essays at the philosophy of Emmanuel Levinas, and the way his philosophy intersects with that of different philosophers, quite Husserl, Kierkegaard, Sartre, and Derrida. This assortment is widely divided into components: kinfolk with the opposite, and the questions of God.
Monotheism is generally thought of Judaism's maximum contribution to international tradition, however it is way from transparent what monotheism is. This paintings examines the proposal that monotheism isn't really a lot a declare in regards to the variety of God as a declare concerning the nature of God. Seeskin argues that the assumption of a God who's become independent from his construction and precise is not only an abstraction yet an appropriate foundation for worship.
This e-book offers a regular reference of the key medieval Jewish philosophers, in addition to an eminently readable narrative of the process medieval Jewish philosophical inspiration, offered as a reaction to the spiritual-intellectual demanding situations.
Karaism is a Jewish spiritual circulation of a scripturalist and messianic nature, which emerged within the heart a long time within the components of Persia-Iraq and Palestine and has maintained its exact and sundry different types of id and lifestyles until eventually the current day, present process resurgent cycles of creativity, inside of its significant geographical centres of the Middle-East, Byzantium-Turkey, the Crimea and jap Europe.
- The Insight of Unbelievers: Nicholas of Lyra and Christian Reading of Jewish Text in the Later Middle Ages (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- Early Yiddish Texts 1100-1750: With Introduction and Commentary
- All Who Go Do Not Return: A Memoir
- Radical Judaism: Rethinking God and Tradition (The Franz Rosenzweig Lecture Series)
- Greek Jewish Texts from the Cairo Genizah
- Pesikta Rabbati: Homiletical Discourses for Festal Days and Special Sabbaths 1 & 2
Extra info for A Place of Our Own: The Rise of Reform Jewish Camping (Judaic Studies Series)
Goldberg and Elliot King, Builders and Dreamers: Habonim Labor Zionist Youth in North America (New York: Herzl Press, 1993). See also, Joselit and Mittelman, Worthy Use of Summer, 26. 54. See Ells, History of Organized Camping, and Gibson, “History of Organized Camping”; see also Joselit, “Jewish Way of Play,” 15. 55. Joselit, “Jewish Way of Play,” 18. 56. For an example of individual synagogues acquiring camp sites, see Alfred Wolf, Wilshire Boulevard Temple Camps: The First 25 Years, 1949–1974, A Personal History (Los Angeles: Wilshire Boulevard Temple, 1975).
On John Dewey, see George B. Cotkin, “John Dewey and Pragmatic Education,” in American Reform and Reformers: A Biographical Dictionary, ed. Randall M. Miller and Paul A. Cimbala (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1996), 138–49. On Kilpatrick, see Robert Merrill Bartlett, They Work for Tomorrow (Freeport, NY: Books for Library Press, 1970). 12. Ethel Josephine Dorgan, Luther Halsey Gulick (New York: Bureau of Publications Teachers College, Columbia University, 1934), 114. Regarding the in®uence of educational psychology on the development of organized camping in America, see Ells, History of Organized Camping, 2–54, and Buckler, Fiedler, and Allen, Wo-He-Lo, 5–10.
39. See Jewish Charity 3, no. 7, as quoted in Joselit, “Jewish Way of Play,” 16. On Camp Surprise Lake, see “This Week in Jerusalem: 100 Years of ‘Camp Surprise Lake’— Oldest Jewish Summer Camp in N. asp. Surprise Lake Camp takes pride in the impressive array of alumni who went on to popular acclaim in the arts, including Larry King, Jerry Stiller, Walter Matthau, Robert Abrams, Neil Diamond, Neil Simon, Gene Simmons, and Joseph Heller. htm. tamarackcamps. S=AT&P=OH&PP=No. html. 40. , Call of the Wild (New York: G.